Friday, March 26, 2021

Imperfection Written In Stone

Last Saturday, March 20, 2021, I visited my beloved wife's grave.  I have visited it many, many times since her passing last year, and as I came up on it again, I brush whatever dirt is along the front, side, and top.

Since the snow has melted, I've been out at least three or four other times, and this trip would be no different.

And Lord knows how many times I've read the words etched into the stone marker.  But this time, I noticed something different.

A typo.

As I looked at it, pondering its significance, I could feel my wife's arm looping through mine, as she had done hundreds of times when she was with me.  There, written on the back were the words: "Love is paitient . . ."  Notice it?  It should be patient.  Later on, I went back to the correspondence from the funeral home and, sure enough, it was right there and I approved it.

In the book of Job, chapter 19, it is written in verses 23-24: "Oh, that my words could be recorded.  Oh, that they could be inscribed on a monument, carved with an iron chisel and filled with lead, engraved forever in the rock."

I chuckled at the imperfection, and I'm certain my beloved Melissa did the same.  You see, even in our strong need for perfection, none of us can ever achieve it.  This imperfection is a reminder that there are bigger issues in the world, and one little typo doesn't define us.

Christ Our Lord defines us.  He guides us.

Praise Him Always!

No comments:

Post a Comment