Wednesday, March 31, 2021

God's timeline may not be in line with your expectations

I happened to find myself back in the book of Genesis the other day and I read chapter 16.  In this chapter, Sarai, wife of Abram, went to Abram and told him that, since the Lord has prevented her from having children yet, go to her maid Hagar and have a child with her.

Abram was not pleased with this at first, but soon relented, listened to her advice, and had a did as she told him to do.  In other words, instead of trusting and listening to God, he took his advice from others as it more served his flesh, his earthly pleasures, than those outside of the flesh.

When Hagar became pregnant, Sarai was jealous and treated her poorly.  After Hagar gave birth to Ishmael--a name given by an Angel of the Lord--it would be another fourteen years before Sarai actually had a child, a son named Isaac.

We may go through life, wondering when something will happen.  When will you find the love of your life, the job of your dreams, for your side project to overshadow your day job as far as earnings?  Or it could be when a disease to be cured or an illness to be healed or, in the case of Abram and Sarai, to bring a child into the world.

Early on in my relationship with my late wife, she knew I wanted to be a writer.  Not once did she ever put me down for not getting published with a big publisher or making millions of dollars doing it as an indie author.  In fact, when she wrote to-do lists for me, at the bottom she would write: P.S. And Write!  I hate to admit this, but even after a twenty-two and a half year marriage, she never saw the fruits of my writing labor to the degree at which I wanted.

But we both had faith that it would happen in God's timeline.  Our timeline may not be His.

Keep your faith in the Lord that what will happen was meant to be.  Think of it this way.  Jesus's Apostles were told that He would return to earth one day and for us to prepare the Way for Him.  That was over 2,000 years ago.

We're still waiting.

God knows best.  God's timing is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment