Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Job and grief

In the book of Job, chapter two, Satan once again appeared to the Lord.  God praised his servant Job for keeping his faith even in the face of great hardship.

But Satan said that if his health was affected, Job would indeed curse the Lord.

The Lord then said Satan could do with him as he pleased, but he had to spare his life.

Job was then inflicted with horrible boils from head to foot.  He was so deformed that even his three closest friends didn't recognize him.

Then the three friends sat with him, grieving Job's failing health, for seven days and nights in complete silence, as they saw his suffering was too great.

Grief is interesting and everyone handles it differently.  As you see in this chapter, Job's three friends did not know what to do for him, so they sat in silence.  Sometimes people closest to you (if you have suffered a great loss) may not know how to react and may sit in silence, not knowing what to say.  There are times when saying nothing but just being a friend is enough.  Having lost a wife earlier this year, I know a thing or two about grief.  I've seen people stumble around for the right words, and when I recognize this I tell them that it's okay, and I may even share something special about the love of my life.  I can see the relief on their face when I do.

Have mercy on those who are trying to console you, if you have suffered a loss.  Many may not know how to react.  Take a lesson from Job and just be with them, share time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment