Friday, November 20, 2020

Inheritance

I lost my wife in January 2020.  She was my best friend, the one and only person in the world I could literally tell anything to.  We loved spending time together, and I cherished every moment, to the best of my ability.

I cannot say that her parents are wealthy, but they have done well for themselves.  I get along with them greatly.  But there has been a word tossed around in the past month or so that has caused me to pause.  Inheritance.

I know no one is obligated to give their children a portion of everything, and my wife had two siblings.  It was disheartening when the talk came that with my wife's passing I would not be getting anything--I don't want to come across as selfish, and who knows if the Lord has another female companion for me down the line.  But still, I felt like I was losing my wife all over again.  Besides, the talk seemed to go that the grandchildren would get the bulk of any inheritance, not even her siblings.  But as they are in their mid-sixties, they could very well be around for a few more decades.

That being said, I am reminded that no matter the circumstances, we have the greatest inheritance of all: eternal life in Heaven.  We cannot bring any of our earthly possessions into Heaven with us.  But the sacrifice that Jesus made for us by dying on the Cross, He secured the greatest inheritance any of us could ever want.

No comments:

Post a Comment