Sunday, June 20, 2021

Unknown sins

A few weeks ago, during our usual Sunday service, our pastor read something that I had heard hundreds and hundreds of times before, but for whatever reason it struck me that day.

It was during what is called the "brief order of confession."  In it was a line that talks about our sins, known and unknown.

I furrowed my brow and asked myself, "What is an unknown sin?"

At first, I thought it was something we're doing, knowing deep in our heart and soul that it is wrong, but we're justifying on doing it anyway.  No, this couldn't be it.

Then it struck me.  It is something we're supposed to do and didn't.  I then thought about my college years in InterVarsity.  The leaders of the chapter at Bemidji State University were probably unaware of how poorly they were treating me. I'm positive that they weren't actively plotting against me, ignoring me, when all I wanted to do was learn more about Christianity.

That would be an example of an unknown sin.

And I forgive them for it.  If God ever offers a chance for me to forgive them in person, I pray that He does and I will.  Those leaders may be clueless as to what I would be talking about, but that doesn't matter to me.  I forgive them with all my heart, soul, and being, so help me God.

I have thought of times when I, myself, have not done something that God was pointing me to do.  Those are too numerous, I'm sure, and as long as God forgives me, I also forgive myself.  I can't change the past.

I can only do what is right in the future, guided by the Hand of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment