Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Putting your full trust in the Lord

In the book of 2 Chronicles, chapter 16, we read about king Asa in his final years.

An army invaded Judah, fortifying it in order to prevent anyone from leaving or entering Asa's territory.  In response, Asa removed hordes of gold and silver from the Lord's Temple and gave it to the king of Syria, pleading for a treaty in exchange for protection.  The Syrian king agreed and conquered the army that had invaded Judah.

King Asa then took the fortifications and used them to build up his own cities.  It was then that the Spirit of the Lord came to one of the king's seers and told him how displeased God was for placing his trust in the Syrian king instead of the Lord Himself.  He told Asa what a fool he had been and that he will now be at war.

Asa grew enraged, threw him in prison, and then began to oppress some of his people.  In the end, he developed a severe foot disease.  Instead of placing his trust in the Lord, he trusted only his physicians and soon died.

Whom do you put your full trust into?  It's easy to get short-sighted when things go bad.  Over these past six months, my wife has suffered a severe medical complications over and over again, brought about by a failing liver and anemia.  She is currently in her seventh hospital stay since May 2019, and when she isn't in the hospital she resides in a nursing facility for PT and OT rehab.  Even in the past week, we thought we came close to losing her.  But we have put our faith and trust in God.  We do see some improvements, but we also know she is in God's Hands.

The other day, a co-worker asked me how I could function at my daily tasks, knowing what my wife is going through.  I told him that because my faith and trust is in the Lord, He has given me peace in my heart and soul.  I have still shed many tears over what may come, but at the same time I will know she will no longer be in pain and will be standing in the Lord's presence.

Look up MercyMe's hit song "I Can Only Imagine."  Listen to the words.  Take them to heart.  And be at peace at what the Lord provides for us now and also when we enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment