Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Quit casting stones

From the Gospel of John, chapter 8, verses 2-8, is the famous story of Jesus and the woman accused of adultery.  In verse 7, Jesus said to the teachers of the law standing nearby, when they stated the laws of the land demanded that the woman be stoned, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." (NIV)

Judgement.  It is something we all do, everyday, even when we may not know it.  It is also something I wrestle with from time to time, even though I believe I have a decent handle on it--but I fail at too very miserably when I do.

The passage from John sticks out in my mind whenever I pass judgement on someone else, even without knowing all of the facts.  But God reminds me of His teachings in the book of John.

Let's take a person who reads about an executive at a company who embezzled millions of dollars and was being sent to prison for decades.  This same person, while judging the executive, is also stealing albeit a smaller scale, let's say pens or envelopes.  Stealing is stealing, no matter the size.

Whenever you find yourself judging someone else, tell yourself to quit casting stones.  You are no better than the next person when it comes to sin.  Pray to the Lord to help you, if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment