Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Muscle twitch? Or a touch by God and the Holy Spirit?

I grew up attending a Lutheran church in a small northwestern Minnesota town.

At the front of the nave was a giant wooden cross that covered much of the wall.  As a kid, I watched a lot of what I called "Jesus movies."  Just to give a context, I was born in the early 1970's and throughout grade school there was a lot of Biblical movies, many of which were on TV.  The crucifixion of Jesus always fascinated me as a kid--honestly, it still does--and of course it wasn't until I was older that the ramifications of Jesus's death on the cross became apparent.  My wild imagination even visualized Jesus being crucified on the very cross at the front of the nave.

That being said, there was an event at church once that, to this day, I still feel . . . both blessed and bizarre that it happened.  To me.  Yes, to me, of all people.  Mr. Nobody Important.

As hard as I may try, I don't know when this occurred, but I'm leaning toward my last year or two of high school . . . or perhaps my first year or two of college.  The reason for this is because after my second year or so of college, I didn't go home very much.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

The church service went about as usual--as usual as a normal Minnesotan Lutheran service could be.  I was a bit tired.  That much I do remember.  I yawned.  Then, I stared up at the cross.

In an instant, I felt what could best be described as a light muscle twitch on my left shoulder.  Or, even more so, someone behind me touching me ever-so lightly on the shoulder.  I turned around.  Whomever was behind me didn't touch me.  But I will tell you this: as soon as it happened, I was filled with an energy I had never felt before.

To this day, I truly believe it was God, working through the Holy Spirit, touching me.  All I needed was a light touch, just to remind me that He was there.

Unbelievers will just deny this happened and tell me it was a simple muscle twitch.  Go ahead and believe what you want.  I know what it felt like--the pure energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment