Friday, February 22, 2019

How many Bibles does it take to learn about God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit?

In the subject line of this blog post, I posed a question.

Everyone will have different answers, of course.  Most, probably, will answer with one--if they read one at all.  With the question, I mean, how many different Bibles do you refer to?

When I got confirmed (this was in 9th or so grade, I believe) I was given a Bible from our pastor.  Over the years, I've kept it near me and read it.  I have never read the Bible cover to cover, unfortunately, but with this blog I'm taking up the fight to do it.

Recently, my eyesight has caused reading the Bible a bit troubling.  So, I purchased one on my Kindle four years ago--I use purchase loosely as it was free.  I've been using it more and more as my eyesight goes haywire and there have been passages that have caused me to scratch my head.  Then, I read the same chapter on the Bible from my childhood and it makes sense.

With my recent tax refund, I made the bold decision to purchase (yes, actually buy) four other versions.  I've researched a variety of Bible translations and came up with four.  The free version is the English Standard Version.  The others I recently bought are: NIV (New International Version), Everyday Life Bible (Amplified Version) by Joyce Meyers, NLT (New Living Translation) Version, and an Apologetics Study Bible (Christian Standard Bible).

These are all Kindle versions so I can take them anywhere, increase the font if needed, and highlight passages.  I've had these for about a week.  Now, despite many of the passages being very similar, I'm already amazed at the slight variations in the translations.

So, if you find yourself struggling with a certain version, try another version.  As long as you're reading God's Word, He will point you to where you should be going.

No comments:

Post a Comment