Sunday, April 11, 2021

Having peace

Chapter 22 in the book of Job is rather interesting--then again, aren't all of what we read in the Bible interesting or intriguing?

The chapter, of course, continues with another of Job's friends.  This one is Eliphaz, whom we've heard from before.  He starts by asking what use righteous people are to God Himself, what use wise people can be to God.

Then, he asks Job if it's his fear of the Lord, that He corrects Job, that is causing him so much angst?  He goes on a tirade about how Job had lent money to friends but demanded their clothing as security, stripping them down to nothing.  He refused water to those who were thirsty and food to those who were starving.  He even took land and when widows came to him, he sent them away empty-handed.

If you review the first chapters of this book, you get none of this, the events that took place.  What's interesting is that, of the four types of Bibles that I read, the New Living Translation says that "he must have" done these things, not that he had.  All of the others state that he did them.  I'm leaving this open for interpretation as there is still a message in these words.

In verse 21, Eliphaz tells Job to submit himself to the Lord and be at peace.  In verse 22, he tells Job to keep the Lord's words into his heart.  Be at peace with the Lord's words in your heart.  Definitely wise words to live by.

When my wife passed in January 2020, I was sad.  I grieved deeply--and still do, if you want to know.  But knowing what I've read and prayed about from God, my heart is at peace.  My wife is at peace, and one day I will wrap my arms around her again in Heaven.

Reading the Bible gives you a peace that is beyond understanding.  When you read His words, open your heart, open your mind, and be prepared to be filled by his incredible peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment