Friday, October 30, 2020

Timely wisdom (for all time)

Proverbs 17 is so full of timely wisdom--as is all of Proverbs.  But how ironic that at this time of the year, just before the 2020 United States election, that such wisdom would come to me.

The first verse struck me right in the gut: "Better a dry crust eaten in peace than a house filled with feasting--and conflict."  Oh, how divided we seem right now, so many issues that are causing conflict in our friendships and even in our own families.  Will Thanksgiving this year be peaceful?  Or full of strife?

I could go through all of them, diving into each one, but I will hit the highlights.

Verse twelve is rather interesting, and picturesque: "It is safer to meet a bear robbed of her cubs than to confront a fool caught in foolishness."  I have seen social media posts lately--well, comments to said posts, to be honest--that make me shake my head and cause great anger.  But I hold my tongue, and fingers, for I will allow the fools to remain foolish.

Let's end with verse twenty-seven: "A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered."  Can't say it better than that.

I strongly urge you to read through Proverbs 17, taking in each verse and reflecting on them.  It may be both comforting . . . and uncomfortable, if you truly reflect on yourself and your actions.  Remember, no one is perfect except our Lord.  Reflect on His words and strive to be better each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment