Friday, December 27, 2019

Lessons learned on judgement

In John 8:7, Jesus told those who accused a woman of adultery, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the one to cast the first stone at her."

And, of course, you know the rest of the story.  The accusers turned and walked away, and Jesus told the woman to sin no more.  Also, I find it ironic that only the woman was accused of adultery.  Where was the man?  He should've stood right next to her.

Judgement is a broad, sweeping term.  Whenever you put yourself upon a pedestal while criticizing others, you are judging.  And who gives you the right to do so?  Put yourself in the other person's shoes for once, see life through their eyes.

We all do it.  But in certain ways, I've criticized and judged others on acts that I could've very easily done.  In fact--I'm going to be very vague, as I have already confessed these acts to God and it is all between me and the Lord--there were acts I had performed when I was much, much younger that I am not proud of.  For whatever reason, I stopped before they could get worse.  I started to cross a threshold that I'm thankful to the Lord that I never kept crossing.

I pray daily for God to help me in my quest to keep my judging to a minimum.  To eliminate it would be the best, but I am a sinner and it would be impossible.  But I do my best.

And that is the best I can ask for.  Doing my best.  Not trying your best.  But doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment