Friday, July 12, 2019

The awesome strength of God

Psalm 46 tells about the incredible strength and power of God, and although we fear His power, we will not fear the power of nature.

In times of trouble, from hurricanes and earthquakes to everything that can be thrown at us, God is our only refuge.

Nations may be in chaos, but God's voice is like a mighty thunder.  The Lord's Armies are always among us, protecting us like a grand fortress.  No matter what warriors throw at you, He destroys them.  God is honored throughout the world and throughout every nation.

This Psalm hit home this past week.  Monday evening, northwestern Minnesota got hit with a line of severe thunderstorms.  I watched the radar map as a line of storms--colored red, which typically mean a more severe part of the storm--headed our way.  Media outlets said wind gusts up to 70 and 80 miles per hour had been reported.

As the storm loomed toward our small town, the winds starting to pick up, I closed my eyes and prayed to God.  I prayed that no one would be hurt in this storm, and that damage would be minimal.  The trees near our house whipped around, looking like trees in a Florida hurricane.  Then, as I finished my prayer, the wind seemed to calm.  Rain still poured down.  I looked at the weather radar.  Guess what I saw?

The red color on the radar seemed to part right outside our town . . . and moved by on either side.  The only damage I could see the next day were branches and leaves scattering the yards.  I did have a roof vent that blew off, but I easily repaired it.  I heard no reports of anyone being hurt, and property damage was minor for the most part.

God's power is incredible.  The damage done with the storm could have been much worse.  But with a thoughtful prayer, we were spared.

No comments:

Post a Comment