Sunday, November 25, 2012

Psalms 9 - God's Thanksgiving

As it was Thanksgiving here in the United States a few days ago, it seems fitting to talk about Psalms 9 here--often referred to us giving thanks to the Lord.

Psalms 9 is a bit longer piece at 20 verses.

It starts by giving grand praises for the Lord and what He has done.  It continues by telling that our enemies have turned their back and fled when the Lord has appeared, for He protects the oppressed.  He is also the great judge of all nations, and He is both honest and fair.

One line, verse nine, struck with me: "The Lord is a refuse for the oppressed, a place of safety in times of trouble."  This brings me much peace to read this, and for those whom He sides with.

Verse 13-14 is pure thanksgiving: ". . . Rescue me from death, O Lord, that I may stand before the people of Jerusalem and tell them all the things for which I praise you, I will rejoice because you saved me."

Verse 18 is another favorite: "The needy will not always be neglected; the hope of the poor will not be crushed forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment